The Davis Family

The Davis Family

Monday, April 2, 2012

Meet the Kellys...

This is a long post. Why introduce you to my neighbors?  They are more than just my neighbors.  Every once in a while there is someone who pops in your life and you are INSTANTLY friends for life. Most of my friendships took time to develop. Instant friendship has happened to me three times. 

1. The first day of 7th grade.  I came into my English class, hoping to sit by my friend Katie.  Linda Hoffman was in the seat I wanted so I asked if she could switch with me.  She said no.  I was thinking "Rude... why can't you just switch seats with me?" She was thinking "Rude.. I'm not moving!  Why can't you just sit next to me?" Within ten minutes of class we were asked to pair up with the person next to us to work on a small project.  So Linda and I got to work.  By the end of class she and I were on our way to a lifelong friendship.  Once we began talking we immediately connected.  We have been the best of friends ever since. 

2. While living in Gainesville Jessica introduced me to Chollet.  They were both supposed to come visit one weekend but Jessica had a conflict and backed out.  Chollet called... "I know we only met briefly through Jessica, but do you mind if I still come?" She came and on the fist night she visited we sat in a Chili's restaraunt for hours spilling all the details of our lives to each other (or as Chollet would say- eashother).  Again, a friend for life was made.  http://darlingdavises.blogspot.com/2012/03/our-visit-to-south-carolina.html

3.  When Jack was about 6 months old Mike and I had been living in our neighborhood for about 3 or 4 years.  Obviously life was very different than when we bought in here.  I spent all day with kindergarteners, and most of the evening with my precious little boy.  I had Mike, but what I needed was a nearby girlfriend.. someone who was at the same stage of life as me.  Enter Amy Kelly.  The Kellys bought the house two doors down.... it's the one that looks EXACTLY LIKE OURS.  My Mike and Mike Kelly had hung out a little bit.  My Mike said, "I think you need to hang out with Mike's wife, I think you would really like her." (I know, the fact that both husbands are named Mike is a little confusing... bear with me). So, I just started being outside when Amy got home from work.  Whether she liked it or not, I was waiting to chat... several days a week.  When I invited her in for a drink we ended up talking for an extended period of time about anything and everything.  We told each other things we hadn't shared with others.  We became instant besties.  One drink turned into dinner together once a week.  Sometimes we would feed Jack and Emma (the Kelly's precious daughter who was two at the time, and that will be appearing in LOTS of pictures) and then they would play while the adults had a relaxing dinner.  Other times we would all sit around the Kelly's dinner table and eat and chat together.  One dinner a week turned into two dinners a week.... you know, you cook one night, I'll cook one night.  Since then we have evolved into into a bit of a family.  The usual schedule is I cook Mondays & Wednesdays.  Amy cooks Tuesdays & Thursdays.  Weekends are usually husband grill outs, or take out, or eat out, or neighborhood pot lucks.  I know it's not normal to eat with another family four nights a week (or more)--- but it is an awesome arrangement. Over time we have helped each other with kids, stress, home improvements, decorating, groceries, and so much more.  I literally cannot imagine my life without Amy in it.  I cannot imagine my life without the Kellys in it. 
     Emma is two years older than Jack.  She sets a great example for him.  They get along great.  She truly acts like a big sister.  When Lucy came Emma was over the moon excited.  Seriously, Emma is probably one of Lucy's favorite people.  She gets super excited when Emma just walks in the room.  I have about a gazillion pictures of Emma with Jack and Lucy. (below are just a few)..
    Mike Kelly and Mike Davis get along famously (as my dad would say).  They share many of the same interests.  They can be really great (and not so great) influences on each other. 
    Amy once read that when you feel a sense of acceptance that you are generally a happier person.  I agree.  I couldn't be happier with our little extended family. 

 Jack & Emma (Charlie Brown & Belle- Halloween 2010)


 Mike & Mike with the kids in a corn maze
 Amy, Emma, Jack, & Me on a train ride at winter wonderland
 Emma is helping to potty train Jack
Emma has also helped teach Jack about firetrucks, how to share, and that it's ok for boys to push pink strollers.




 Emma with newborn Lucy



                                 Halloween 2011

2 comments:

  1. I felt like I already knew Amy, but now I really do! And the pictures are just too cute (esp the rocking horse one). Thanks for the intoduction... You make a beautiful family of seven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish I lived in the middle house and the back yards were a commune! Jack and Lucy are so lucky to have such a great Pseudo sis!!

    ReplyDelete